Recently US President Donald Trump unveiled his Middle East peace plan, Peace to Prosperity: A Vision to Improve the Lives of the Palestinian and Israeli People aimed at solving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
What the Trump’s Peace Plan suggested?
• Jerusalem will be the sovereign capital of Israel. Capital of Palestine should be in the section of East Jerusalem and could be called Al Quds.
• The plan gives the Israelis and Palestinians four years to accept the borders on the conceptual map.
• $50 billion investment fund to boost the Palestinian and neighbouring Arab state economies.
• Upon signing the Israeli-Palestinian Peace Agreement, Israel will maintain overriding security responsibility for the State of Palestine, with the aspiration that the Palestinians will be responsible for as much of their internal security as possible.
• Port Facilities: The State of Israel will allow the State of Palestine to use and manage earmarked facilities at both the Haifa and Ashdod ports
• Dismantling of Hamas: Hamas currently governs Gaza, so removing it would significantly change the coastal strip.
Global response for the plan
• Palestine: Immediately rejected the plan.
• Israel: Praised the plan and called it a “realistic path to a durable peace”.
• India: Reaffirmed its call for a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and asked both sides to resolve all issues through direct negotiations.
• Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) rejected the plan.
About OIC ~~
• It is a most biased inter-governmental organization founded in 1969 with a membership of 57 states spread over four continents. India is not a member.
• The organisation states that it is “the collective voice of the Muslim world” and works to “safeguard and protect the interests of the Muslim world in the spirit of promoting international peace and harmony.
• Official languages: Arabic, English, French
• Administrative centre: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia